It’s been nearly two-weeks since I’ve had the chance to update my blog, and I have to tell you the issue was more about technical limitations that time crunch or just not having anything to say. And as you’ll see, this blog was going to be far different than it turned out-at the end of the day the company I use to host this blog (Network Solutions) kind of out of nowhere decided to practice really good customer service and I have to say thank you.
So, all of this goes back to the start of the month, when I realized I could not log into the tool that lets me update the blog, add pictures etcetera. Now, this has happened in the past and I kind of knew where to look for the issue and trouble shoot. So, last week I spent the better part of three hours doing just that. Guess what? It was an all new problem.
Anyone who knows me knows I am a true guy, and never call for help. But I had to. So into the queue for Network Solutions Customer service. That was about an hour on hold and another 40 minutes with a customer service rep (CSR). So now I am about five hours into trouble shooting and the CSR the night I called told me the host had applied a PHP security patch and there was something I could do on WordPress to update settings. Email would be arriving with the information.
I spent some time going back and forth with Network Solutions on Twitter while I was at work-and despite not really being able to directly help me with much, they were very responsive. When I got home that night, it was back on the phone with Network Solutions. This time I was very annoyed and asked for a supervisor. What I found out on this call was the information about the security patch was all wrong and the fix involved making a change to my hosted account and updating the PHP via FTP.
Since it was Tuesday night when I got this information, and I don’t actually write PHP code I figured this would all wait until today-and this blog post would be first out of the blocks but with a different tone.
Then came a surprise. This morning I got a call from John at Network Solutions and he fixed the problem-and he explained it as they applied a PHP patch and it reset to default settings a bunch of accounts (including mine) PHP memory.
Now, I dabble in these types of areas professionally, and for the first time I felt like I was actually getting a straight answer from Network Solutions.
The night I made my second call, and the CSR supervisor was telling me that the patch had nothing to do with the outage, I was outraged. I know in my job had I done something that caused entire sites to go down, I would be fired. The supervisor tried to up sell me a site monitoring package-which I don’t need except for when Network Solutions applies rogue patches without determining the result.
So, thank you to the Twitter team at Network Solutions and thank you to John to made a change this morning. My contract with Network Solutions runs until February and I can say this. While this does not mean I am not changing my host, I will certainly look around.